Sunday, September 14, 2008

Not dead, just busy...

As the title implies, I haven't dropped off the face of the earth or been devoured
by rats. The intensity of my work spiked severely in the past few weeks, so I've
been loath to even look my computer when I get home (or do ANYTHING for that matter).

Thankfully, I've been able to take a week off so I'm in a much better place right
now. Here's a quick recap of things I've wanted to write about:

1. Bike Day
We had a "Bike Day" a few Sundays ago. I indulged in the therapeutic properties of meaninglessly tedious and unnecessary hand labor. Namely, hand polishing old ball bearings from the gummy bottom bracket of an old three-speed we have. Sure they're cheap to buy new and the old ones are pitted, but I found it strangely calming to sit there and individually polish them of the (probably) decades-old grease.





The day was not without surprises. Can you guess where I found these things?


If you said the bottom bracket of the aforementioned three-speed I'd be a little freaked out, however accurate you might be. No lie, I found a dead earwig, dead wasp, and sunflower seeds when I cracked this baby open.


Also learned on that day - the secret to disassembling cotter-pin style cranks is hammering the shit out of them. Seemed rather barbaric as a means of servicing a bike, but it worked.

More when my pictures are uploaded